Friday, May 9, 2014

Tools


While writing a computer program a programmer often has to repeat same lines of code again and again,almost always forgets closing a bracket or putting a colon at the end,just little things that always cause a big compilation error.

To help them in avoiding such little errors, computer scientists came up with automated tools which made life a lot easier.Imagine life without Eclipse,Visual Studio,Adobe's various products,Microsoft word,notepad.There are so many tools available nowadays.
For a recent project I came across some new tools that really helped me during the project phases .Some of them were


  • ouCampus for Content Management - This tool helped me a lot in creating web pages for my school project.It made adding text and multimedia very easy.This tool has been awarded (by OmniUpdate's content management)because of its functionality and is incorporated in creation of many universities websites.
  • Prezi for Presentation-I absolutely love this tool,whatever crazy idea you can come up with for the presentation,you can do it using this tool.
  • Google Analytics -Google Analytics can come real handy if you want to know from where the traffic is coming to your website.It gives all the information about page rank,demographics that can help you a lot in monitoring the website and also increasing its page view by tweaking it.
  • Adobe Photoshop for poster creation-Who does not know about the magic Adobe's Photoshop can do to images,text or should i say almost everything.We see it every day in those magazines where not so perfect people are represented as epitome of perfection by the help of Photoshop.We also used photoshop for creation of poster for our project



Some of my favorite tools are:-
  • Microsoft Office - Life would be horrible without Microsoft Office.This product is as important as food for computer savy people like me.
  • Google Apps - Google Apps is a good alternative of Microsoft Office specially for people who can't afford office.Best part of Google Apps is that all the documents are stored in the cloud.So there is less danger of loosing your hard-work in case the system crashes.Recently my friend's laptop got stolen and it had all the data in it(just before the finals),imagine his condition,he would be creating and storing everything on cloud using Google Apps from now on that's for sure.
  • Eclipse Kepler - What to say about eclipse Kepler except Intellisense,no more writing tedious lines of code again and again,no more searching for the corresponding package of the data structure or class you are using,eclipse kindly tells you what package is necessary for the code you are using,just double click on the intellisense and its included in your code(a boon,I would say).
  • Infomatica - Imagine your boss comes up to you and say,"Can you please change the primary key of table Employees?Thanks" which basically means ,"I want this done now".In a situation like this what if, you have no idea what table he is talking about,you just joined the team yesterday(No you can not go up to him and say I don't know how to do it).In this case Informatica comes in handy,it stores the whole work flow of a project,all the tables,primary key,foreign keys and that too with a human understandable visual.Just search your project workflow in meta search and you can easily find the "Employees" table and its keys(Yay...You are safe).By the way the example I gave you is based on my true life.

Usually I don't like tools that are too complicated because instead of trying to figure out how the tool works,I prefer working,so any tool that is self explanatory or has help forum is perfect.
With the advancement of technology tools are becoming better day by day,automation has reached  a new level which is great for people like me that can not memorize everything.

References
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/255/3/9/eclipse_a2_by_dj_fahr-d49mizm.png
http://www.itworld.com/sites/default/files/frustration-600x450_0.jpg
Images-
ww.zazzle.com


  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shweta,

    I was reading your blog on Tools. I like how you gave analogies to understand how tools are for computer programmers. I totally agree with the fact that without these tools life would be so difficult. I would like to know the reason behind the tools you mentioned as being your favorite, like for example, the Infomatica. Google Apps are really a life saver sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is very informational. I recognize some of the tools which I have used before , and there are also couple of them that I am new to. I certainly agree with you on Prezi! Prezi is just amazing! It can turn a plain boring presentation into a vivid one. And I like the way you describe it!

    ReplyDelete